Monday, February 17, 2014

Cinderella Man

I think the title of the movie was Cinderella Man because a Cinderella story is one that isn't supposed to happen, or something that is unexpected. It was a "feel good, feel bad, feel good" movie so it kept me on my toes and I never felt like I was getting bored. I loved James Braddock because no matter what was happening, he was also doing it for his family. He tried his hardest to keep his kids with him through the extremely difficult times, and even sacrificed some of his own food for his children. Still, there are families with not enough money to support them and unemployment rates are still high. The Braddock family showed a glimpse into what it must have been like during the extremely difficult times in the past. Today, issues are different because there are more opportunities for jobs and thankfully the unemployment rate is lower than what is was during the Great Depression. Our children will probably deal with issues similar to today's and I feel like there will still be many different equality issues.

If i were a child seeing my family go hungry, I would steal. If my families survival was dependent on finding food, I would try to help my family in whatever way I could. Under normal circumstances, I would never steal, but if my family was going hungry then I would. As a teenager, I know that stealing is not the right thing to do, but children don't understand.

Every story needs a villain and I believe Max's character was portrayed as the villain in this story. The filmmakers definitely made him look like a worse person than he really was. In the movie, he seemed almost proud of his killing of people in the ring. I don't think it's right that they did that to him or his family especially because he made it clear that he was haunted by the death of his opponent that he killed in the boxing ring. I don't believe it took away from the story of James Braddock. Since every story needs a villain, Max just seemed like another character, expect the focus was still on James.

During the scene where Braddock went into Madison Square Garden to beg for money, I was tearing up. It was an extremely powerful scene and I believe it was one of the best in the movie. It was admirable and not at all pathetic. He didn't quit his boxing job, he was fired. He had no other way to support himself and I don't believe it was his fault that he couldn't find money anywhere else. There were thousands of people in the same position as him. This moment helps define Braddock as a Cinderella man because it shoed his true character. This scene showed how much of his pride he was willing to give up to support his family.

1 comment:

  1. When the film makers portray Max Baer as a ruthless character, it's important to understand that they did this to add to Braddock's character, by not taking away his sympathy earned by the audience, which is what would happen if Max's character was portrayed as a good guy. I still totally agree with your standpoint though.

    ReplyDelete