Friday, February 28, 2014

The Godfather

This was one of the first movies that we watched in this class that I did not enjoy. I think that in my mind I was expecting it to be some action filled, intense, super good classic movie because that's the reputation it has. In the beginning, the movie was pretty slow and I felt like I was always waiting for something to happen. The only things that happened were shootings and the killing of characters for different reasons, some of which I was confused on. It was hard for me to keep track of what was going on in the movie at all times. I also think some scenes, like the scene of Michael in Italy, were purposeless and added nothing to the movie. The only thing I did like about the movie was that it was told from the inside of the family instead of the outside. It was the one thing that made the movie interesting to me. It's hard to say if I would recommend this movies to others because there is such a mix of people who like it and dislike it. Talking to my family about it, my mom hated it and my dad loved it. It's a very hard thing to say if I would recommend this to others, but personally, I did not enjoy it.

Vito Corleone is the center of the film because he was the head of the family. All decisions were either made or passed by him and he had to approve. He was a family man and did everything for his family including trying to protect them. You could see how deeply upset he was when his son died and he was willing to agree on a decision to stop the family from getting hurt.I had mixed feelings about when Vito died among his tomato plants. I thought that the killings and violence would end when he died, but his son Michael took over and the violence increased and continued on.

This story was told from the inside which made it unique and different from other movies about organized crime. It's different from what many know about organized crime because we see how the people on the inside feel. In this movie, a lot of the killings and shootings were because of personal vendettas that the characters had with each other and told from the inside, we can see why different people were enemies.

Personally, I don't understand why this movie is called a classic. There's so much hype around it then when I actually got around to watching it, I was let down. People may like it because it's one of the few, maybe the only movies that is told from the inside ring of organized crime. For me, I didn't enjoy the bloody shootings and hearing about personal problems between families. If you like complicated movies with blood, shootings, and violence then I can see why so many like it.





.


6 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about Vito Corleone, he did everything for his family and did everything in his power to protect them. I also agree that the killing and violence should've ended when Vito Corleone died but instead Michael took over. I thought that was very interesting because Michael refused to become involve in the family business originally. From the beginning to end, Michael's character dramatically changed. He was the truthful son out of the family business and at the end, we see him lie to his wife and become the next Don of the Corleone family. I also agree that I was let down by the film. So many people talk about it and I think I got too excited because of the hype. Anyway, this is a super long comment and I feel that I should stop typing now. Great post Dak, I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Don Corleone was the head of the family and he took care of everyone and tried to protect them and that's what gave him such a respectable reputation. I also think that the movie had a lot of pointless scenes that were dragged out and also confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Corleone was a good protector of the family, but I disagree on your view of the film, it was very enjoyable because it gave a different perspective of whats normally seen, and it was told from the inside

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that I thought going into the movie that their would be a lot of action and be a "super good classic movie" like Dakota said so I too wasn't a big fan of the film. I like the point you brought up about Vito and how he really cares about family and how deeply upset it was when his son died.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Dakota's last paragraph discussing her confusion to why this movie is a classic. I do think its a good story, I just do not think it is good enough to see multiple times. It may be a personal thing, like Dakota said, I do not have a strong interest in the topic and others might.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with what you said about Vito Corleone and I loved his role throughout the movie. I do agree with questioning why the movie is classic, I do not think there was anything very significant about it that made it stand out so much to be very well known.

    ReplyDelete